Career Technical Education (CTE) Teaching Pathway
What is the CTE Teaching Pathway?
Career Technical Education, or CTE, is a Program that offers a sequence of courses directly related to preparing students for employment in current or emerging occupations. Such programs are focused on training students in the high demand skills needed to gain employment, cross-train for different positions, or retrain for a new career. CTE Teacher TRAC offers services to future teachers in the following areas: Automotive Technology, Welding Technology, and Woodworking Technology.
Why is CTE important?
- CTE Prepares students for good-paying, high skilled 21st century jobs.
- Provides real-world, hands on learning.
- Ensures California has skilled and educated workers to keep the economy strong.
- Reduces the drop-out rate by making school more relevant and keeping students engaged in school.
- Equips students with skills to succeed whether they choose to go to college or not.
- Provides additional pathways for students going into college
Why Teach Career Technical Education (CTE)?
- Share the Passion for your craft
- Enhance your income by enjoying a teaching and industry career simultaneously
- Have a hand in training the next generation of industry professionals
- Contribute to the Community
What does the CTE Teaching Pathway Offer
- Educational pathways for teaching at the high school or community college level.
- Individualized Academic Counseling - Meet with a counselor specialized in CTE and with teaching experience to plan your academic career at Cerritos College.
- Internship & Mentorship Opportunities - Explore and Learn about Teaching by gaining hands on experience or observing others teaching automotive technology, welding, or woodworking.
- Conferences and Workshops - attend various activities specifically related to Teaching CTE.
- Scholarship Opportunities - Receive financial support.
- Connections with the Department of Technology Program at California State University, Los Angeles (CSULA)
- Connections with the Professional Studies Program at California State University, Long Beach (CSULB)
Why be a Teacher?
- Teaching is a rewarding experience where both students and industry professionals
get to share their knowledge and expertise in the field of their choice.
- Students who have an interest in Automotive, Welding, or Woodworking can try on Teaching
as a Career choice; Or chose to work in the field and come back as a teacher in later
- Industry Professionals who have an expertise in the fields of Automotive, Welding,
or Woodworking Technology bring a unique background to teach their special craft to
future students and craftsman at the High School or Community College level.
- Contribute to the needs of our youth by preparing them to become skilled professionals for the 21st century, and assist in fulfilling the needs of California's workforce.