Emergency Aid Request
Emergency aid funds assist students in meeting financial needs as a result of an unexpected event or emergency. The purpose of this program is to assist students in staying enrolled in college and progressing toward graduation. Funds are limited, and we recognize that there may be more applicants than funding allows. We encourage students to explore additional resources available to them throughout the Falcon Basic Needs web pages. Funds are limited. Due to the very high volume of requests you will be contacted in approximately 2-3 weeks regarding the status of your request after submission.
EMERGENCY AID FACTS
- Students may receive emergency financial assistance of up to $500. This is a lifetime maximum per student.
- Emergency Aid requests may be denied, partially funded, or fully funded (max $500).
- Applicants MUST submit supporting documentation, examples are a copy of a specific bill, a repair quote, rental notice or lease, etc.
- Due to the very high volume of requests you will be contacted in approximately 2-3 weeks regarding the status of your request after submission. Requests for Emergency Aid with all supporting documentation attached will be reviewed and approved more quickly. We understand your request is urgent, and will contact you sooner if possible.
- The College is actively working on alternative means to help students meet their critical food needs, please do not use this form for resources related to food insecurity. Refer to the Falcon Basic Needs Website for additional resources and information.
EMERGENCY AID REQUEST PERIODS & DEADLINES:
|SUMMER 2021||FALL 2021|
|Opens May 17, 2021||TBA|
|Closes July 9, 2021||TBA|
Application closes at 5 PM on the closing dates listed above.
*For students enrolled in 6 units during summer sessions (all sessions combined must total 6 units)
Examples of unexpected emergencies include:
- Housing - repairs
- Utilities - gas, phone, electric, water/trash
- Unexpected or emergency automotive repairs
- Supplies for learning - books, academic supplies, lab fees, internet, computers
- Educational Debts - over-payments from dropping classes, defaulted loans, overdue tuition debts
- DACA Renewal Fees
- Unexpected or emergency medical/dental/vision expenses
Types of requests that will not be considered:
- Fees for other colleges
- Fees for parking tickets, moving violations, traffic school, or expenses related to violation of regulations/laws
- General credit card debt – request needs to be tied to a specific unexpected or emergency cost, and itemized
Applicants must meet all of the following:
- Currently enrolled in at least 6 units at Cerritos College
- Has completed a FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application (if eligible to), and has unmet need. Those not eligible for FAFSA (i.e. undocu and international students) can still submit this Emergency Aid request.
- Has at least one prior semester at the College
- Has a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Is in good disciplinary standing at the College (not on probation or suspension)
- Provides specific supporting documentation to their request.
Falcon's Nest Referral Form
Be prepared to answer the following questions on the form, in order to describe your need. To expedite review of your request, be sure to answer the questions fully and attach specific supporting documentation:
- Describe the specific unexpected financial emergency that has arisen.
- State in specific detail what exact expense you are seeking aid to cover. Supporting documentation must be attached to this form for the expense you describe.
- If applicable, please include specific deadlines or timelines.