COVID-19 Updates

Services for Students Transitioning Online

Cerritos College is moving to an online environment during the Governor’s Stay-at-Home order. If you have any questions or concerns, please email

Visit our Cerritos Cares page on your first stop to student information.

Cerritos Cares page

Are my classes cancelled?

No. All classes are still taking place. However, most of them are going to be moved to an online format through Canvas beginning March 30 in order to implement the CDC’s recommended social distancing strategies.

What if my class can’t be completed online?

All lecture courses or lecture portion of lecture/lab courses will be online. Many labs will be offered in an online format also. For those labs that cannot be moved to an online format the faculty will contact their classes. 

I have an appointment with my counselor, is that going to be online now?

Yes. Student Services departments are taking their services online. This means you will be able to access services such as creating a Student Education Plan with a counselor online, submitting online forms, and paying fees. The following department websites will have more information about their online services:

What is social distancing?

Social distancing is intentionally remaining out of crowded, busy settings, avoiding mass gatherings, and maintaining a distance of approximately 6 feet (2 meters) from others whenever possible. This is strongly recommended by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in order to prevent virus transmission.

What should I do if I don’t have internet access and/or a computer at home?

Spectrum Internet is providing broadband internet to college students for 60 days for FREE. Call Spectrum at 1-844-488-8395 to sign up and get more information.

Can I get a refund for my parking permit for my classes that start on or after March 30, 2020?

Yes, you may be eligible for a refund. Refunds come in the form of a check to your address on file and may take 4-6 weeks to process. Students enrolled in classes that started before March 30, 2020 will not be eligible for a refund. Please send an email to  In the subject line please type Parking Permit Refund.  In the body of the email include your name, student id number and parking permit number. Please include a mailing address if you have recently moved.

Is the Commencement Ceremony cancelled?

At this time, we have not cancelled Commencement. If that changes in the future, students will be contacted immediately and it will not impact their ability to graduate. You can check the Commencement website for updates as well.

Are there resources and support for Undocumented Students during COVID-19?

Students who are undocumented can find resources at the following websites:

Are there any special offers from the bookstore to help students during this time?

Yes! Please see below:

  • FREE Online Shipping Offer: Visit the campus store website for Free Shipping on all items with no minimum purchase. This includes various formats of course materials, supplies, apparel, technology and more.

  • Access to eBooks AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE: Visit the campus store website to gain access to eBooks at no additional charge with your .edu email address. You can access up to 7 eBooks for the designated period free of charge. Don’t have your .edu email address yet? Be sure to activate it, additional information available online.

  • FREE Access to Lumen Learning OER Courseware: Lumen Learning, our OER partner, is offering FREE access to courseware to help supplement content, visit Lumen for the offer.

  • Free Shipping on Rental Returns & Deadline Extensions: The campus store is offering free shipping return labels and is also extending the non-return period without penalty to assist with increased returns by mail. Click the COVID-19 message on the home page of the campus store website.

I want to speak to a live person over the phone. Who can I call?

You can leave a message for Student Services departments on their general phone lines during this transition to online services.  Call 562-860-2451 and select the department you would like to contact when prompted. Our most popular departments are:

  • Admissions: 562-860-2451, Ext. 2211
  • Financial Aid: 562-860-2451, Ext. 2397
  • Counseling: 562-467-5231
  • Cerritos College Library: 562-860-2451, Ext. 2425 or via chat.

I am a student with disabilities, how will I receive accommodations during this transition?

Student Accessibility Services (SAS), formerly known as DSPS, is working diligently to make sure students still have the ability to access services during this transition. However, please keep in mind that they may need to be provided in a different way.  For more information, please visit the Student Accessibility Services website.

Will I be able to access a medical professional on campus?

The Student Health & Wellness Clinic will provide students with telephone triage services. Call our "Ask a Nurse Practitioner" hotline at 562-860-2451 ext. 2321. You can also ask a question by accessing the Ask a Nurse Practitioner link located on our webpage.

How can I access mental health services?

If you require assistance with mental health services, call our crisis hotline at 562-653-7821 or contact the Crisis Text Line by texting “COURAGE” to 741741. USC telehealth is also available to provide free, online therapy in English and Spanish, and will connect you with a therapist via a computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone. For assistance with assessment, screening, and referrals for on-going therapy, please call the Los Angeles County Access Hotline at 1-800-854-7771.

Can I request a P/NP grading basis for a class? 

Yes, the State has approved the use of P/NP grading basis for any class due to COVID-19.  The college will not include “P," "NP," and “EW” grade notations in the calculation of academic progress or consider them in probation or dismissal procedures. However, students should contact the Financial Aid Office for additional information about how an “NP” might affect their financial aid status.

Before choosing the P/NP option, you should consult with a counselor and/or program director about whether or not the P/NP grading basis will impact the transferability of any particular course. The Spring 2020 Student Grading Options document contains additional information about the P/NP option.

If you would like to receive a P/NP grade, you must complete and submit the COVID-19 Pass/No Pass form by June 5, 2020.

Can I withdraw from a class without receiving a W on my transcript? 

Yes, the State has approved use of EW (Excused Withdrawal), a withdrawal due to extraordinary circumstances.  The EW does not calculate into GPA calculation, progress probation or dismissal calculations. 

The EW will be available to students who have withdrawn or wish to withdraw between March 10 and May 22, 2020.

How do I withdraw from a class?

Please complete the COVID-19 Withdrawal Questionnaire; once submitted, this form will be sent to the Admissions and Records office for action.

Will I receive a refund?

Refunds will be processed for withdrawals during the above-listed timeframe between March 10 and May 22, 2020. You will have the option of getting a check mailed to you or receiving a credit for your next semester at Cerritos. If you receive a California College Promise Grant (fee waiver) or other type of waiver, you will not receive a refund.

How long will it take for me to receive my refund?

Refunds will take 4-6 weeks to process.

What is the impact if I withdraw from my classes and I am a financial aid student?

There is new federal legislation (CARES Act) that will be providing some relief for students during this difficult time. We are currently waiting for the opportunity to apply for this relief and guidance in understanding the details. We encourage students to stay enrolled if they can utilize the many resources that are available.

However, if you need to withdrawal, it is highly recommended to consult with the Financial Aid Office if you want to understand the impact on your financial aid.

For more financial aid information related to withdrawing from classes you can email and/or review the financial aid website.

Will this count as an attempt to take a course? 

No - this will not count as an attempt to take a course for the institutional standards.

What if I already withdrew from my course and there is a W on my transcript?

Please contact the Admissions and Records office at In the subject line please state Drop with a W. 

We will review your withdrawal and the W will be changed to EW if you withdrew between March 10 and May 22, 2020.

What is the best way to contact Financial Aid?

  • Submit the Contact Us Form on the Financial Aid website.  Although we are experiencing high volumes of emails at this time, our staff is working hard to respond in a timely manner and your patience is appreciated.

  • Prior to contacting staff, it is recommended that you browse our website to see if our questions can be answered on one of our webpages at We also have 24/7 FATV online videos to answer your questions at

  • Questions can also be e-mailed to

  • You can also Ask Franco via Chat on the Financial Aid website.  The chat appears on the bottom right hand corner of each page.
    Questions? Ask Franco

Are Financial Aid Staff available to assist me?

Yes.  The financial aid staff are still connecting with students and helping through online services.  Our office is currently closed for in person services.  We will do our best to assist you through e-mail.  However, if needed we can arrange a voice call or video chat as needed.  Please reach out to us for any of your questions or concerns.

My income has decreased significantly from the information I reported on my FAFSA/CA Dream Act application.  Can you consider my more recent income?

Yes, please submit the Contact Us Form from the Financial Aid website explaining your situation.  One of our financial aid staff will reach out to you with next steps.

I applied for FAFSA for 2020-2021 and would like to submit required forms.  How do I submit these forms?

Check your To Do List on MyCerritos to see if you need to submit forms.  For more information about submitting forms, visit our website for more details. 

How do I apply for Direct Student Loan?

Please visit the Direct Loan website to view the deadlines and steps for completing the loan application process.

I have been disqualified from financial aid, how do I appeal?

You can view our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) website for standards, policy, deadlines, and appeal information. 

I am a student with food and/or housing insecurity, are there any resources available for students?

Yes, please visit our Falcon Basic Needs website for a wealth of resources.  We want to connect you to resources so that you can be successful here at Cerritos College.

I am an undocumented student and have questions about paying for fees and resources available?

Cerritos College is an Undocu friendly campus.  Please visit our UndocuWebsite for resources, financial aid process, contacts, etc.

Stay Connected

Site Map | Accreditation | Disclaimer | Report a Website/Accessibility Issue | Document Readers | Safety Reporting | Consumer Information
Last Update: 12/3/2020