On behalf of the Puente Project and Cerritos College, we would like to welcome you to our Puente familia. We have a long and rich history of creating leaders for the next generation. As a team we believe in our students' potential and ability to achieve their academic and career goals. We invite you to contact us and discuss and explore your goals in order to assist you in developing a plan for a successful future.
The Puente Program addresses students needs through:
- Academic support services and resources
- Academic, personal, and career counseling
- Their own Puente Counselor to support them throughout their Cerritos College career
- Access to courses with emphasis tailored to the Latinx perspectives
- Help in identifying internship and scholarship opportunities
Puente counselors provide:
- Assistance with educational, career, and personal goals.
- Counseling courses to assist the student with college success strategies, transfer options, career exploration, decision-making and study and leadership skills (Counseling 200 & 150).
- Encouragement for students to further their educational goal.
- A "familia" community in and out of the classroom.
- Assistance with navigating the university process and college-prep curriculum for transfer including transfer applications, letters of recommendation and financial aid process.
- Complete college level English as well as critical thinking English (English 100S & 103).
- Develop and enhance writing skills through processed centered and community-based writing assignments.
- Focus on Latinx Literature and readings.
- English 100S course is designated as an "Honors" section.
- Students who successfully complete the English 100S course with a "B" grade or higher will earn "Honors" credit and be provisionally accepted into the Scholars' Honors Program.