Cerritos College Mission
Board Approved on May 06, 2020
Cerritos College provides its diverse student population with high-quality, comprehensive instructional programs and support services through clear, equity-minded pathways to their educational goals. In doing so, the college develops culturally competent students with the knowledge, skills, and values that prepare them to be productive members of their local and global communities.
Cerritos College will provide innovative learning opportunities and support services that will close persistent educational achievement gaps.
We have strong core values:
- Support and promote student success
- Promote excellence in teaching, learning, and service
- Support innovation and creativity to enhance and enrich learning
- Celebrate diversity in people, philosophies, cultures, beliefs, programs and learning
- Promote respect and trust in all people regardless of background, including students, community members and employees
- Foster integrity
- Develop nurturing and supportive partnerships with our educational, business and industry communities
- Support comprehensive curricular offerings
- Promote inclusiveness in a collaborative decision-making process
Cerritos College embraces community, diversity, innovation, and active learning. We strive for high academic and ethical standards, and academic freedom. We believe in the worth and dignity of all of our learners. Read our full statement
The District provides a technologically advanced educational community in which students pursue a variety of educational goals: attainment of an associate degree, transfer to a four-year university, career/technical degree or certificate, or job skills. Achievement of these goals is strongly supported with instruction in basic skills as well as with student and instructional support services. Beyond these college credit programs and services, Cerritos College actively enriches the surrounding community through its varied community education programs.
The College has a student body that is 54.6% Hispanic, 12.4% Caucasian, 10.2% Asian/Pacific Islander, 3.6% Filipino, 7.3% Black, 0.5%Native American, and the rest undeclared. Students come from more than 30 California cities, with 60% of the students coming from cities outside the college district, bypassing other community colleges to attend Cerritos. Cerritos College ranked third in California and sixth in the nation among Hispanic-serving community colleges for the number of associate degrees granted to Hispanic students in 2006.