Welcome to Safe Zone
Do you want to increase your knowledge of our diverse student and employee populations? Safe Zone training is an opportunity to increase awareness and make your classroom or area of service more inclusive. Employees who participate in the Safe Zone training will gain knowledge and skills to foster a supportive and safe atmosphere for LGBTQ+ students, faculty, managers, and staff. In our current remote learning environment, we have created a self-paced, online version of the Safe Zone training. When you sign up for the training, you will be added to a Safe Zone Canvas site, where you will have two weeks to complete the training in your own time. After you complete the training, you will become part of an identifiable campus network of Safe Zone allies.
One of Cerritos College's core values is "celebrating diversity in people, philosophies, cultures, beliefs, programs and learning environments." The Safe Zone Program is an extension of this value. Therefore, the Safe Zone Network is a group of community college members who are committed to addressing issues of importance and safety to the LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning/Queer) community through education and advocacy. Members of the Safe Zone Network participate in a four-hour introductory workshop on issues of awareness and resources for the LGBTQ community. Once members have completed training, they will receive a Cerritos College Safe Zone sticker to display, so students will be aware who they can safely approach to ask questions, discuss any issues they may face, or be referred to resources that can assist them.
- The Safe Zone Program's overall objective is for Safe Zone allies to utilize their gained knowledge and skills to foster a supportive and safe atmosphere for LGBTQ students, faculty, and staff.
- As a result of the Safe Zone Program, Safe Zone training participants will become part of an identifiable campus network of Safe Zone Allies.
- Participants will gain knowledge about an understanding of the expectations of LGBTQ individuals.
- Participants will gain skills on how to support LGBTQ students, faculty, and staff at Cerritos College.
- Participants will gain knowledge of the resources available for LGBTQ students, faculty,
and staff at Cerritos College and the surrounding communities.