Now Open for In-Person Classes. COVID-19 Updates.

Frequently Asked Questions


  1. Will a specific course be accepted for the General Education and/or pre-requisite requirements?

    The dental hygiene department cannot answer questions regarding general education requirements.  You must see a counselor on campus.  For the pre-requisite courses of Chemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, and Microbiology, if you have taken one or more of these at another college, they will be acceptable as long as they have covered the basic introduction to the subject and are at least a 4 unit class including a lab.  The nutrition course must have covered the basic principles of normal and therapeutic nutrition and is at least a 3 unit course.

  2. I am a graduate of a dental school out of the country.  Do I have priority for admission to the dental hygiene program?

    While we value your past education and degrees, we are unable to give you any advanced standing.  Pre-requisite courses must have been taken within the past 5 years.  Additionally, you must attend a Cerritos College workshop.

  3. Can I have courses in progress when I apply?

    Yes, you may have up to 2 pre-requisite courses in progress when you apply.  However for each pre-requisite course that you complete with a grade of "A" or "B", you will receive extra points, so if that course is in progress, you will not get that benefit, which may hurt your chances of acceptance considerably.  You will want to have as many general education courses completed as possible.

  4. Do I need dental office experience?

    Dental office experience is not required, however, extra points may be awarded.

  5. How often can I retake classes to improve my grade?

    Classes may be repeated ONE time, and the most recent grade will be counted.

  6. Should I take extra science courses?

    Extra points may be awarded for taking additional science courses (at least 4 units plus a lab)

  7. Do I have priority having been an RDA?

    Extra points may be awarded to applicants with a dental assisting certificate and/or some dental office experience.

  8. If I am a graduate of a dental assisting program will I need to take all courses offered in the Dental Hygiene program?

    Yes.  Vocational units from a dental assisting program are not applicable for advance placement in the professional portion of the program.  Skill proficiency may, however, make course work easier in given subjects.

  9. What is required as far as CPR?

    A valid CPR certification, including health care provider cardiopulmonary resuscitation with an Automated External Defibrillator (AED), is required prior to enrolling in Dental Hygiene Program courses and must be kept current.

    These courses can be taken through the American Heart Association and the  American Red Cross.  Courses may also be taken through The American Dental Association's Continuing Education Recognition Program (CERP) and The Academy of General Dentistry Program Approval for Continuing Education (PACE).

  10. What if I don’t get accepted the first time?

    Take the opportunity to improve your application and reapply.

Stay Connected

Site Map | Accreditation | Disclaimer | Document Readers | Report a Website/Accessibility Issue | Safety Reporting | Consumer Information Last Update: 11/17/2021