Bands & Orchestra
The Cerritos College Music Department is dedicated to providing music for all, even during this Covid-19 crisis. We want to make sure new and returning music majors can continue quality instruction, while also offering non-majors and community members the opportunity to learn and grow, experience quality music, stay engaged, and contribute to our musical community. The ensemble members will be busy. Our communities need music. We need music. We need each other. And we need to continue to share the power of music.
Due to the Covid-19 requirements currently in place, the instrumental ensembles will be virtual for the Fall 2020 term. What you can expect from your ensemble experience:
- Virtual performances: The ensembles will participate in virtual performances during the semester where you will have the opportunity to be part of the ensemble
- Practice and perform top tier ensemble literature
- The opportunity to participate in social outreach performances in your local community (solo, or in small chamber-size groups)(while following Covid 19 safety protocols and guidelines)
- Engage, collaborate, connect, and participate with other musicians in music making, small group activities, and discussions (all online)
- Connect with world class musicians and conductors through online access in a group setting
- Develop best practices in honing your skills on your instrument
- Learn about the history of the ensemble as well as conductor/director considerations
The Cerritos College instrumental ensembles place emphasis on a high degree of fine ensemble playing. Beyond performing as the showcase ensembles at various jazz and band festivals, the bands at Cerritos College take great pride in performing in countless civic events and participating in social outreach at hospitals and shelters. Any C.C. student, faculty, or staff, community member, or high school student is eligible to audition for participation in the ensembles at Cerritos College. The instrumental ensembles are under the direction of Dr. David Betancourt.
Virtual Ensembles During Covid-19
European Ensemble consisting of instruments that are in concert bands and orchestras, as well as a Jazz Ensemble.
Submit audition video any time online. Last date to submit is August 17.
At this time, all interested students will need to submit a video audition. If accepted into one of the ensembles, you will receive additional information on registration and enrollment. Please keep in mind Dr. Betancourt believes strongly in “music for all” and wants to give everyone an opportunity to participate, so don’t stress about the audition!
Video Audition Guidelines
- Use any video capture device you are comfortable with. You are being evaluated on the quality of your performance, not the quality or resolution of your video.
- Please submit one unedited video that includes the following
- State your name, how many years you have played, and with what groups you have played. (do this at the beginning of the video).
- 1-2 scales. A chromatic scale demonstrating your range is always nice, but not required.
- A one-two minute selection of your choice that best demonstrates you sounding your best. Any style! (state the piece)
- Please make sure you and your instrument can be seen on the video.
- You may use a live or recorded accompaniment for your audition.
- If you do not have access to accompaniment, then you may perform your audition without accompaniment.
Please submit all videos to Dr. Betancourt at email@example.com with the subject heading: CC Ensemble Audition
HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS WHO ARE ACCEPTED WILL RECEIVE COLLEGE CREDIT THROUGH THE COLLEGE BRIDGE PROGRAM. FORMS WILL BE PROVIDED AND THERE ARE NO TUITION FEES!
Director of Bands and Orchestra
The Cerritos College instrumental ensembles place emphasis on a high degree of fine ensemble playing.
The symphonic winds is dedicated to the performance of the finest traditional and contemporary band literature available. Emphasis is placed on the development of individual musicianship through large group rehearsals and sectionals. Concerts may include both on-campus and off-campus events.
The orchestra is dedicated to the performance of standard orchestral literature. Emphasis is placed on the development of individual musicianship through large group rehearsals and sectionals. Concerts may include both on-campus and off-campus events.
The jazz ensemble is dedicated to the performance of both contemporary and standard jazz literature. Emphasis is placed on the development of individual musicianship through large group rehearsals and sectionals. Concerts may include both on-campus and off-campus events.
This high energy ensemble provides the students an opportunity to learn and perform contemporary music with an emphasis on pop, rock, funk, and latin. Emphasis is placed on the development of individual musicianship through large group rehearsal. Concerts may include both on-campus and off-campus events.
The primary responsibility of the pep band is to provide entertainment and school spirit at scheduled home football games. Emphasis is placed on the development of individual musicianship through large group rehearsals and sectionals. Performances may include both on-campus and off-campus events.
Director of Bands and Orchestra
or call (562) 860-2451 ext. 2631