Fees and Deadlines
The American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS) is the external partner with Cerritos College in organizing our summer study abroad programs. Once a student is accepted into the Study Abroad Program, we'll provide instructions for how to submit the study abroad fees.
- Study abroad program fees, including optional group airfare: students pay directly to AIFS (Cerritos College will assist in collecting payments.)
- Fees for enrollment in Cerritos College classes: students pay directly to Cerritos College via MyCerritos
- Passport and other fees for travel: students pay to source provider
Fees for the Study Abroad Program:
The cost of the summer 2020 study abroad program in London, England, is based on the number of students who enroll in the program:
- 20 to 24 students: $3,445
- 25 to 29 students: $3,285
- 30 or more students: $3,195
(Note: For comparison, the Summer 2019 Florence program enrolled 26 students.)
These fees are for housing for four weeks (a homestay in an English family's home, housing 2 Cerritos students, and providing breakfast M-F and use of kitchen facilities, wifi, bathroom, laundry facilities); group orientations to the city; entry to museums and cultural events for the classes; an Oyster pass for free bus and subway transportation in the city; transportation to and from Heathrow Airport in London; guides provided for class walking tours and cultural events; student medical insurance in the host country; and three group meals: a welcome dinner, a dinner at a music venue, and dinner at the historic George Inn in London.
What's not included in the fees above:
- Round-trip airfare and in-country airport transfers (see below)
- Passport or visa fees, if applicable
- Food or meals other than the planned group dinners or homestay breakfasts
- Personal expenses
- Fees for enrolling in Cerritos College classes (CCPG/BOG waivers apply)
- Textbooks or other class supplies
AIFS will charge a $35 returned check fee on each check returned by the bank for insufficient funds.
Student may choose to take one of three optional tours while in London. These include extra fees:
1. Stratford Day Trip
A full day excursion to Stratford Upon Avon. Transport by private bus with late return, entrances to the Shakespeare’s Birth Place, performance at the Royal Shakespeare Company theater and the services of a professional Blue Badge guide and AIFS staff escort throughout. Extra Cost: $295.
2. Oxford Day Trip
A full day excursion to Oxford University. Transport by public transport, entrances to the Christchurch College, a guided tour of the Bodleian Library and the services of a professional Blue Badge guide and AIFS staff escort throughout. Extra Cost: $95.
3. Liverpool Weekend Trip
A three‐day, two‐night excursion to Liverpool, England, home of the Beatles. Transport by standard class train, accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis at a centrally located hostel, sharing dorm rooms, entrances to The Cavern Club, guided coach tour of the significant Beatles sites in Liverpool and the services of an AIFS representative throughout. Extra Cost: $435.
Group Rates for Air Travel to London:
If 10 or more students choose to travel with our group airfare package, arranged by AIFS, the estimated cost of round-trip air travel from LAX to London is $1,217.
AIFS cannot arrange airline tickets for students applying after Thursday, March 12, 2020.
Students may choose to make their own travel arrangements; however, they will be required to be present for the last day of class in the U.S., the first day of orientation events in London, and the last day of class in London. Students who wish to arrange their own flights may decide to stay later than the rest of class, but they must arrange their own return flights, housing, and transportation after the end of the study abroad program. Check the program dates on the "Upcoming Study Abroad Programs" page.
Deadlines for program fees:
- Friday, March 6, 2020: Enrollment deposit for non-refundable study abroad fees due ($450 of the total program fee)
- Monday, May 4, 2020: Full payment due (minus $450 deposit) for the study abroad program (program fee and optional group airfare)
- By Monday, June 22, 2020: Payment to Cerritos College for enrollment in class(es) in the Study Abroad Program
AIFS Refund Policy and Deadlines:
Student withdraws on or before Thursday, April 9, 2020:
All fees paid less a $150 processing fee and any non-refundable deposits paid by the student or by AIFS on the student's behalf.
After Thursday, April 9, 2020, 2020, but on or before Friday, May 8, 2020:
All fees paid less the $450 deposit (non-refundable) and any other non-refundable deposits paid by the student or by AIFS on the student's behalf.
After Friday, May 8, 2020:
No refund, and the total program fee is due.
Once the program has begun:
No refund, unless AIFS suspends the program.
Because of covered medical reasons:
All fees paid less the $150 processing fee and $125 insurance premium.