Teaching Assistant Program (TA Program)
Cerritos College's Teaching Assistant Program is looking for aspiring community college educators who want to gain experience and learn inclusive and equity-minded teaching methods that meet the needs of our diverse student population.
About the Program:
The Teaching Assistant Program at Cerritos Community College prepares individuals to become community college instructors. The Program assumes that potential Teaching Assistants have expertise in the subject to be taught but need an opportunity to learn and to practice the teaching techniques that are appropriate for community college students. The Teaching Assistants will be assigned to work with a Cerritos College instructor in one class for the Fall or Spring semester. Day, evening, and Saturday opportunities may be available.
TA Program Schedule
|Summer Institute||June 2020||Teaching Assistants will be invited to participate in a Summer Institute. This institute will focus on preparing TAs for teaching and learning in the college classroom.|
|Fall 2020||Aug 17 - Dec 18||TAs will be matched with an experienced teaching in your academic or vocational field. Follow-up workshops will be provided to help TAs get hired as a community college teacher.|
|Spring 2021||Jan 11 - May 21||Spring Semester is optional. TAs may continue to participate in the TA Program depending on their academic or vocational field.|
Cerritos College will provide hands-on experience working with college students and the opportunity to learn new techniques necessary to be an instructor in a community college setting.
While there is no monetary compensation for participating in the Teaching Assistant Program, there are several benefits.
- All TAs are afforded the opportunity to participate in Professional Development Workshops that are offered through the Center for Teaching Excellence (CTX), free of charge. Please visit the CTX website for offerings.
- All TAs will have the ability to purchase a Semester Staff Parking. Staff parking may be purchase at Campus Police with cash only once TA has been approved by Human Resources. For a Campus Map, please visit the Campus Map.
- All TAs will be given wireless accessibility to Cerritos College Wi-Fi Network located throughout campus. For a map of Cerritos College Wireless Network Coverage, please click Wireless Network Coverage.
- All TAs will be provided a Cerritos College Email Account. For assistance on setting up your email account, please call (562) 860-2451 ext. 2797 to setup an appointment with Monique Valencia, or stop by the Center for Teaching Excellence located in LC-201.
- All TAs will have access to The Center for Teaching Excellence (CTX). The CTX is a quiet place where faculty members can come to work on materials, use the computers, receive assistance, and have the ability to meet and mingle with other faculty. The CTX provides a location where academic and professional growth of faculty is the driving focus.
Persons who are interested in a career as a community college instructor, have expertise in a subject area (either academic or vocational), and have not had paid professional teaching experience at the community college level are eligible. This includes:
- Graduate students who have completed at least 50% of their program at an accredited college or university;
- Master's degree holders who have not had postgraduate teaching experience; and
- Bachelor's degree holders with a minimum of two years of full-time occupational experience in a vocational/technical area.
|Online applications will be accepted until April 12, 2020.|
Interested persons must complete the preliminary online application.
Preliminary applications will be reviewed as received. Additional required documents include a letter of recommendation, current resume, copy of college transcripts, and all volunteer service forms. Volunteer service forms may be obtained by contacting the Center for Teaching Excellence. In addition, all applicants who are accepted must provide results of a current TB test and undergo fingerprinting (Live Scan). All applicants are responsible for paying fingerprinting (Live Scan) fees. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview. The criteria used in selecting potential teaching assistants includes academic preparation or occupational expertise in disciplines where ethnic minorities or women are traditionally under represented. If you have any questions, please contact the Center for Teaching Excellence (CTX) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for Fall 2020 are now closed.
Review of Applications will begin at the end of April.