Maintaining F-1 Status
F-1 Students are responsible to understand and follow immigration regulations (USCIS Rules & Regulations). Failure to maintain your status, or comply with these regulations, may have very severe consequences on your ability to study, seek employment, or even remain in the United States. Please carefully review first the USCIS Rules & Regulation and then the F-1 Student Agreement listed below.
ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS: (I am required to)
- Enroll in a minimum of 12 units (full-time) for the Fall and Spring semester.
- Maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average (C grade of better) each semester.
- Limit my enrollment in online classes to a maximum of 3 units as part of the 12 units requirement.
- Meet with the International Academic Counselor each semester and as needed.
- Meet with the International Academic Counselor prior to dropping classes, changing my class schedule or concurrent enrollment at another school.
- Enroll for classes on my registration appointment date.
- Pay my fees within 7 days, if unable to contact the office of international student services for assistance.
I understand falsification, plagiarism, and cheating or violations of academic dishonesty and as such actions or causes for termination of my F1 status and my I-20 at Cerritos College.
- Insurance: Purchase the mandatory health insurance from Cerritos College each academic year.
- Contact Information: Personal contact Information: Notify the Office of International Student Services of any changes or updates to my name, major/field of study, dependent information, financial support, addresses, email address, and phone numbers within 10 days.
- Travel: Before traveling, make an appointment to meet with staff. During this appointment provide my I-20 to obtain signature approving the travel. Please Note: I-20 and passports must always be valid.
- Employment: Before starting to work, make an appointment to meet with staff to obtain approval and immigration authorization from staff for on campus and off campus employment.
- Employment OPT: Meet with the Immigration Specialist at the Office of International Student Services 60 days prior to completion of my program for Optional Practical Training (OPT), program extension (1-20) or transfer to another school.
- Employment off campus is not allowed.
- Make an appointment to meet with staff 90 days prior to completing my program for Optional Practical Training (OPT).
- Make an appointment to meet with staff 60 days prior to completing my program to extend my Program date on my I-20.
- Make an appointment to meet with staff 30-60 days prior to transferring to another school.
International Admission Specialist, Office of International Student Services
Phone: +1(562) 860-2451 ext. 2232 | Email: email@example.com