Maintaining F-1 Status
F-1 Students are responsible to understand and follow immigration regulations (USCIS Rules & Regulations). Failure to maintain your status, or comply with these regulations, may have very severe consequences on your ability to study, seek employment, or even remain in the United States. Please carefully review first the USCIS Rules & Regulation and then the F-1 Student Agreement listed below.
ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS: (I am required to)
- Enroll in a minimum of 12 units (full-time) for the Fall and Spring semester.
- Maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average (C grade of better) each semester.
- Limit my enrollment in online classes to a maximum of 3 units as part of the 12 units requirement.
- Meet with the International Academic Counselor each semester and as needed.
- Meet with the International Academic Counselor prior to dropping classes, changing my class schedule or concurrent enrollment at another school.
- Enroll for classes on my registration appointment date and pay fees within 7 days.
- Obtain proper authorization from the Immigration Specialist at the Office of International Student Services for on-campus and off-campus employment when I am eligible authorization.
- Purchase the mandatory health insurance from Cerritos College each academic year.
- Meet with the Immigration Specialist at the Office of International Student Services 60 days prior to completion of my program for Optional Practical Training (OPT), program extension (I-20) or transfer to another school.
- Notify the Office of International Student Services of any changes/updates to my name, major/field of study, dependent information, financial support, addresses, email address and phone numbers within 10 days.
- Present my 1-20 and passport to the Immigration Specialist at the Office of International Student Services 3 weeks prior to traveling outside the U.S. Note: I-20 and passport must be valid at all times.
- Must file Internal Revenue Services (IRS) form 8843 annually regardless if I work or not the prior year. If I participated in authorized on or off campus employment, I will need to also file state and/or federal income tax. Deadline is on or before April 15 each year. Additional information is available at irs.gov.
- I understand Falsification, Plagiarism and Cheating are violations of academic dishonesty and such actions are causes for termination
of my F-1 status and I-20 at Cerritos College.
For more immigration guidance, please feel free to visit the Office of International Student Services, located in the Santa Barbara Building. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 am - 4 pm (hours may vary during the summer and off seasons).
International Admission Specialist, Office of International Student Services
Phone: +1(562) 860-2451 ext. 2232 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org