Sabbatical Leave FAQs
1. What are the steps involved in applying for a sabbatical leave?
An “Intent to Apply” form will be sent electronically to all faculty in the spring semester by the committee chair. The formal application will be due during the subsequent fall semester – due dates will be announced and posted on the SLC website.
2. If I submit an Intent to Apply, am I committed to continue with the formal application process?
No, you can decide not to pursue the formal application process after submitting an Intent to Apply.
3. Can I apply in fall if I don’t fill out an Intent to Apply the previous spring semester?
4. What is the format of the Sabbatical Application?
Please see the SLC website for the suggested template, as well as, model applications.
5. Will I have an opportunity to revise my application if needed?
Yes. The Sabbatical Leave Committee will review all applications and return to applicants for revisions as needed.
6. Are there examples of past applications available for review?
Yes, please consult the Cerritos College Library or the SLC website.
7. What is the approval process?
Once the sabbatical leave committee approves applications, they are then forwarded to the Faculty Senate, to the Vice President and President and then to the Board of Trustees. This process begins in the fall and is completed at the end of the following spring.
8. Who can I consult for assistance in preparing my application?
The Sabbatical Leave Committee will host an application writing workshop for those who have filed an Intent to Apply.
9. What are the most common reasons an application is sent back for revision?
- Clarity of sabbatical project
- Objectives that are not aligned with the itinerary
- Formatting issues
- Grammar issues
- Lack of proof reading