How To Stay Prepared
How to Stay Prepared While at Cerritos College:
- Add Campus Police Direct Emergency Phone Number to Contacts: (562) 402-3674 (Use when calling from a cellphone). You can also get connected by dialing the Campus Police Emergency extension: 911 (Use when calling from a campus phone). Campus Police can also be reached by dialing (562) 860-2451 ext.2325 or via email at email@example.com. For more information on how to stay prepared while at Cerritos College, please visit the Campus Safety Plan/Emergency Procedures.
- Sign up for Cerritos College Emergency Mobile Text Alerts through RAVE Alert, so you can receive important safety, security and community information via text, email, and/or web message.
- Emergency Blue lights are emergency alarm stations strategically located around the exterior of campus for anyone in need of help in times of distress.
- Utilize Safety Escort in the event that you feel unsafe walking on campus. This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To access this program call (562) 924-3618.
- Regarding any local incident or natural disaster, check email regularly for important news, procedures or updates from the Office of International Student Services or Campus Police. IMPORTANT: You will be required to check in with the Office of International Student Services by phone at (562) 860-2451 ext. 2133, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person and update us on your emergency plans in the event of a local incident or natural disaster.
- Store your documents in a safe place where you can easily access them. Documents such as visa, I-20, and passport need to be placed in a secure location where you can easily access them in case of an emergency. It is also recommended to make copies of these documents and store them in a separate and secure location.
What F-1 International Students Should do in the Event of a Natural Disaster or Manmade Catastrophes:
- International students and their accompanying dependents (if any) should follow the instructions of state, local and tribal officials, including any instructions to shelter in place or evacuate.
- Should an emergency occur while you are on campus, please follow Cerritos College emergency plan.
- If ordered to evacuate, students should not return to their apartment or homes until local officials tell them it is safe to do so.
- International students must also continue to take all necessary actions to maintain their student status, to the extent possible under the circumstances, including keeping necessary documents in a safe, secure place and hand-carrying them should they need to evacuate. These include the following: passport, visa, SEVIS issued I-20, I-94, social security card, financial records and plane tickets, checks and credit cards.
- International students must remain in contact with the Office of International Student Services to inform us of their emergency plans, including whether they have been ordered to evacuate. International students can contact our office at (562) 860-2451 ext. 2133 or via email at email@example.com.
- If the Office of International Student Services is closed, please call campus police at (562) 402-3674.
- Should you be unable to communicate with Cerritos College, please contact the SEVP Response Center (SRC) at: +1(703) 603-3400 or +1(800) 892-4829 or email SEVP@ice.dhs.gov. Also contact your local embassy or consulate office for country specific updates.
Additional Information: Useful emergency preparedness resources. Several government agencies and other organizations in the United States have free resources related to natural disaster preparedness. A few organizations you can use to find more information include the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Ready.gov, National Weather Service, and the American Red Cross.