Utilities and Internet
- The Gas Company (800) 772-5050 www.socalgas.com (800) 427-2200 Emergency Line The Gas Company provides a variety of services and
programs to assist customers with their gas appliances, paying their bills, making
credit arrangements, energy conservation, etc… Referrals to agencies to assist in
paying bills are available to Gas Company customers only. Contact us 24-hours a day/7
days a week. Service representatives are available in English, Spanish, Mandarin,
Korean, Cantonese, and Vietnamese Low Income.
- Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) (866) 675-6623 https://www.acf.hhs.gov/ocs/programs/liheap LIHEAP provides assistance for low-income families who fall within federal Poverty
Income guidelines. Assistance is provided on a one-time basis for income eligible
households. Call the toll-free number for more information or for an application.
Telephone representatives are available to speak in English or Spanish. Inquiries
can be sent to P.O. Box 1947 Sacramento, CA 95814
- Verizon Communications (800) 483-4000 www.verizon.com Verizon Communications offers “Lifeline Service.” This is a basic telephone service
at half the usual cost to people who qualify. Call to learn more about the income
requirements. To be eligible you cannot be declared a dependent on anyone else’s taxes.
- United Way 1150 S. Olive St., Suite T500, Los Angeles, CA 90015 The United Way administers a
utility assistance program for the elderly, disabled, and low-income population. Eligible
families can get a one-time credit of up to $150 for electricity and $150 for gas
bills per year. This credit is only offered by Southern California Edison Electricity.
For more information visit www.unitedwayla.org/en/utility-assistance/.
- Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (800) 342-5397 www.ladwp.com Los Angeles Department of Water and Power offer their own 15% discounted low-income
rate. For more information please call the number listed above.
- Southern California Edison (800) 736-4777 California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) www.sce.com/care The California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) provides a 20 percent or more discount off your electric bill for your permanent primary residence, if you meet qualifications and income guidelines. Must be a SCE customer and meet income guidelines as noted on application. **Information from IN THE LOOP
- Comcast: New customers receive 60 days of free services. Internet Essentials is a program
offering reduced fees past the 60 days of free service, and applicants must be eligible
for public assistance programs such as the National School Lunch Program, housing
assistance, Medicaid, SNAP, SSI, and others. Applicants can visit internetessentials.com to enroll in the program, or call (855) 846-8376 for English or 855-765-6995 for
- Charter/Spectrum: Free access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.