Faculty & Staff Tool Kit

Jump to Topic

Get involved

If Sexual Violence prevention initiatives is of interest, there are several ways on campus for you to get involved. Here are some links and contact information. If there are other ways you are involved, please contact the Title IX Coordinator to share about how you help out.

Professional Development Opportunities

These agencies offer trainings, professional development and other sexual violence prevention training and conferences.

  • Peace Over Violence
  • East Los Angeles Women’s Center
  • Native Pathways to Healing 
  • Keenan Safe Colleges Online Training
    • Log in info
    • Course Library of Trainings Available
      • Sexual Harassment: Policy and Prevention - 189 minutes - Wendy Armstrong
      • Sexual Harassment Staff-to-staff - 35 min - Vector team
        • This course provides staff members with a basic understanding of staff-to-staff sexual harassment as well as strategies to maintain a harassment-free environment in the workplace. Topics covered include defining sexual harassment and sexual harassment in the workplace. The content in this course was designed with care and sensitivity; however, some may find certain topics personally upsetting, especially for survivors of sexual abuse or assault. If you feel the need to talk with someone, please contact your Human Resources Administrator or a related resource in your community.
      • Title IX and Sexual Misconduct - 24 min - Michelle Issadore

Prevention and Research Resources for Instruction

Syllabus statements

As an instructor, one of my responsibilities is to help create a safe learning environment on our campus.  I also have a mandatory reporting responsibility related to my role as a faculty member under Title IX, local law, and school policy. It is my goal that you feel able to share information related to your life experiences in classroom discussions, in your written work, and in our one-on-one meetings. I will seek to keep information you share private to the greatest extent possible. However, I am required to share information regarding information about a crime that may have occurred on Cerritos College’s campus. I’m also required to report sexual misconduct, regardless of where it occurred. You can report sexual misconduct by contacting Campus Police, using this form or by contacting the Title IX Coordinator.  For students who are not ready to make a report, but do want confidential resources or support, they may speak to someone confidentially in the Student Health Center. Additional information about on and off campus resources can be found in our Project Safe brochure.



What are some best practices for taking a disclosure of sexual violence from a student?

Responsible employees have an obligation to report to the Title IX Coordinator all relevant details about the alleged sexual violence shared by the victim. This information is crucial for the District to investigate and take any other appropriate steps to resolve the matter promptly and with equity.

There are primary and secondary concerns when disclosures happen. First, the primary concerns are to be present in the moment, listen with compassion, and provide options and resources to the person revealing their experience. Second, the concerns are to submit a report as soon as possible, and provide any referral, follow up contact, as necessary or appropriate. In either case, the important need is to provide the person support, which sometimes means getting others involved who have expertise and are responsible for working with individuals who may be struggling.

Consider the tips below when taking a disclosure.

  1. Find a private, comfortable place to talk.
  2. Make sure you have set aside adequate time for the discussion and are not rushed or preoccupied. For example, be sure to put your phone away so you are not texting during your conversation.
  3. Try to be calm and relaxed.  Pay attention to your demeanor and tone of voice, and try to maintain a calming presence.
  4. If the discussion is initiated by you, try to be as specific as possible about the behaviors that are concerning.  Provide examples of your observations in a direct but non-judgmental way.
  5. Ask open-ended questions to help clarify.
  6. Express interest, care, and concern.  Remember that although what they are sharing may not seem like a crisis to you, it still feels like one to them.
  7. Be proactive: engage students early on, pay attention to signs of distress, and set limits on disruptive behavior.
  8. Be direct: don’t be afraid to ask students directly if they are under the influence of alcohol or drugs, feeling confused, or having thoughts of harming themselves or others.
  9. Be clear about the limits of your ability to assist them.  Help them explore options available to them and the cost and benefit of each option.  Remember that even though you think they should seek professional help, it is ultimately their choice.
  10. Follow through: direct the student to the physical location of the identified resource. Sometimes this may be walking a student to a resource, or making a call a ahead of time to make sure the office can receive the student when they arrive.
  11. Do not ignore comments about suicide, violence, or harm to self or others.  If you have safety concerns, contact the Campus Police Department at ­­­­(562) 860-2451 ext. 2325.
  12. Consultation and documentation: always document your interactions with distressed students and consult with your department chair/supervisor after any incident.
  13. File a report using the Title IX form.

What are my responsibilities to students who may be impacted?

When a student is experiencing or has been experiencing negative impacts in their academics as a result of conduct that potentially violates Title IX and other relevant laws, including sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking, the College provides academic support. The type of academic support depends on their situation and needs. Generally, support should be provided when:

the student is participating in the criminal justice process or institutional processes, such as a student conduct matter or investigation, and it interferes with their coursework or classes;
they are engaged in safety planning, such as relocating or attending protection order hearings; or
they are experiencing the immediate impacts of such conduct, whether by a student, employee, or third party.
What if the student in my class is the one who has been accused of inappropriate conduct?

You may also be asked to provide similar support to these students while they are engaged in an institutional process, such as the Student Conduct process.

What type of academic support might I be asked to provide?

Examples include:

Arranging for students to make up coursework or exams or identify an alternative to avoid a negative consequence to their grade; or
Arranging for students to have extra time to complete or re-take a class or withdraw from a class without an academic or financial penalty.
What information will I be given?

Given the sensitive nature of such issues, the privacy of the students is paramount; therefore, these offices will simply inform you that they are providing support to a student. In some cases, you may be contacted in advance to alert you that the student may need academic support in the future.

How does this differ from the disability accommodation process for students?

Not all students who are experiencing impacts may have a medical condition where they may receive disability accommodations. In some cases, you may be asked to implement exceptions to course expectations in urgent or emerging circumstances separate than accommodations. Once the circumstances have been resolved, you will be notified. If the student does have a disability that requires accommodations, then the disability accommodation process would be the primary method for students to seek accommodations for any short or long-term effects.

What if I am concerned that the request for an exception is not reasonable or consistent with the course expectations?

Inform the office that contacted you if you have concerns. Similarly, to disability accommodations, if a request for an exception is not reasonable, then other options should be explored. The Title IX/ADA Coordinator can provide consultation as needed.