General Eligibility

There are some general requirements that must be met to be eligible for federal student aid:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can complete the FASFA on-line at

  • Demonstrate financial need. Financial need is the difference between the cost of attending Cerritos College and the amount of resources you expect to contribute toward your education as determined by the Federal Methodology

  • Be a Citizen/Eligible Non-citizen: You must be one of the following to receive student aid:
    • U.S. Citizen
    • U.S. National (includes natives of American Somoa or Swain's Island
    • U.S. Permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551c (Alien Registration receipt card) If you're not in one of these categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS showing one of the following designations in order to be eligible: Refugee, Asylum Granted, Indefinite Parole and/or Humanitarian Parole, Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending)
    • If you're in the United States on an F1 or F2 student visa only, or on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only, you cannot get student aid. Also, persons with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations) are not eligible for student aid

  • Have a valid social security number

  • Be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible program. A regular student is defined as a person who enrolls for the purpose of obtaining a degree, certificate of achievement, or a transfer program

  • Declare an eligible major at the Office of Admissions and Records, and be taking courses towards a Certificate of Achievement, Associate of Arts (AA) degree, or a Transfer program. It is your responsibility to meet with a Counselor and know your major and the requirements to meet your educational goal.  List of ineligible majors for financial aid purposes.

  • Have a high school diploma or has the recognized equivalent. The recognized equivalent may include the following:
    • GED certificate
    • Certificate demonstrating the passing of the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) or state-authorized examination
    • Completion of homeschooling at the secondary level as defined by state law
    • An academic transcript showing completion of at least a two-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor's degree
    • Passing the Ability-To-Benefit test or completion of 6 degree applicable college units if eligible. Only students who enrolled prior to July 1st, 2012 will have this option

  • All males aged 18-25 must register with the Selective Service System or meet exemption requirements. See chart. If you believe that you are not required to be registered, call the Selective Service office at 1-847-668-6888 for information regarding exemptions. You can register on-line at

  • Have resolved any drug conviction issue

  • Have resolved any default on a FSA loan or overpayment

  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Submit some or all of the following documentation:
    • You and/or your parents’ IRS 1040 tax return transcript for the prior year. If they or you did not file, you may be required to submit W2's
    • Social Security Card or proof of birthdate
    • Default or overpayment clearance letter
    • Academic transcripts from other institutions
    • Other information may be requested by the Financial Aid Office

Stay Connected

Site Map | Accreditation | Disclaimer | Document Readers | Report a Website/Accessibility Issue | Safety Reporting | Consumer Information Last Update: 9/23/2022