The C.O.R.E. Program for Teachers
The Collaborative Observational Reflective Experience (C.O.R.E.) Program for Teachers provides a template that has been developed to offer a non-judgmental, professional, valuable, and positive professional development experience in a one-to-one setting. It is collaborative because the interaction, dialogue, and involvement is designed to create an egalitarian relationship where both individuals directly involved in the experience benefit equally. The skill sets and knowledge that each participant brings to the table is recognized and valued. This experience has an observational component in that one colleague will visit another’s classroom to watch a lesson being taught while taking objective and subjective notes. The follow up chat allows for sharing of ideas and reflecting on teaching practices by both the observer and the teacher being observed. Colleague mentoring transforms into a dual learning situation where authentic self-assessment is facilitated. This professional development activity does not replace the faculty evaluation process and is non-compulsory. It is available for flex credit (1 hour per visit/follow-up chat).
C.O.R.E. Program Climate
The C.O.R.E. Program for Teachers has three distinct climate tenets:
- Recognize and draw on the expertise and strengths of colleagues by accessing prior knowledge to avoid assumptions.
- Maintain an informal, professional, relaxed, and conversational style of communication. Be aware of the communication style/preference of colleagues (face-to-face, email, Skype, texting). Social media, as a mode of communication for this program, is not recommended.
- Embrace the lifelong learning mindset. You do not need to have all the answers, just be willing to share and have a discussion with colleagues. We can all enrich our careers by working towards being better at what we do.
- Contact David Betancourt to set up a C.O.R.E. session for you with one of the trained C.O.R.E. faculty members. See the list of C.O.R.E. Faculty members.
- Schedule a 30 minute observation and 30 minute follow up chat with your C.O.R.E. colleague.
- Contact Monique Valencia in the CTX after your follow up chat to receive flex credit.
For additional information, you may contact David Betancourt or read the Classroom Visit Guidelines.