Residency Status

You are considered an In-State resident if you meet the following requirements:

You or your legal guardian(s) must have filed California state Income Tax (Form 540) for the year prior to beginning enrollment. 

In addition to this requirement, you must meet three of the requirements below:

  • Possess a valid California driver's license or California Identification card
  • California vehicle registration
  • Continuous occupancy of property in California
  • Leave of Earning Statement showing California as the claim State
  • License for professional practice in California (trade, business, professional)
  • Parent's out of state income tax return showing student is NOT a dependent
  • statement of active California Bank Account
  • Utility Bills (electric, gas, water, telephone)
  • Verification of public assistance, rehabilitation, unemployment or other California state services
  • Voter registration
  • Other items will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. 

You may be considered an Out-of-State resident if you meet any one of the following requirements:

  • You have lived in the State of California for less than a year before the start of the term that you wish to attend.
  • You are on a temporary non-resident Visa type.
  • You have no legal status within the United States.

Or If within the last calendar year you have:

  • Filed Personal Income tax to another state.
  • Voted in another State.
  • Attended an out of state institution as a resident of that state.
  • Declared residency in another state for income tax purposes.
  • Petitioned for divorce in another state.
  • Registered a vehicle in another state.

California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request (AB 540 Form)

If you are considered an out of state resident, you may qualify for a waiver of the out of state fees if you meet the following requirements:

  • Have one of:
    • Attended a combination of California high school, adult school, and community college for the equivalent of three (3) years or more California High School
    • Have completed three (3) or more years of California high school coursework and attended a combination of California elementary, secondary and high school of three (3) years or more.
  • And one of:
    • Have graduated or will graduate with a California high school diploma or have the equivalent (i.e. California-issued GED, CHSPE).
    • Have completed or will complete an associate‚Äôs degree from a California Community College.
    • Have completed or will complete the minimum requirements at a California Community College for transfer to the California State University or the University of California
  • And not have a current non-immigrant visa. Including but not limited to: F, J, L, A, E, etc.
  • Must file or will file an affidavit as required by individual institutions, stating that the filer will apply for legal residency as soon as possible

You may submit the AB 540 form to the Office of Admissions & Records.