1098-T Statement

Cerritos College is required to provide an informational return, IRS form 1098-T, to all eligible students as defined by IRS tax code.  By January 31st, you will be sent form 1098-T to alert you to the possibility that you or your parents may be eligible for federal income tax credits that could reduce your 1098 federal income tax liability.

 Two tax credits, the Hope Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit, help families reduce out-of-pocket expenses for tuition and certain expenses paid to a post secondary institution that participates in the federal student aid programs.

Maximus TRA Services has been contracted to send the 1098-T to you.  Although the college has provided this information, the calculation of the tax credit earned should be obtained through IRS Publication 970 and IRS Form 8863 or your personal tax advisor.  The IRS phone number is 1-800-829-1040.

 Cerritos College cannot provide you with tax advice or assistance related to the credit or how to claim the credit.  For assistance, please contact a tax professional or refer to IRS Publication 970.  If you have questions, you may call Admissions, Records & Services at 562-860-2451 ext. 2211. 

To View and/or print your TRA-97 1098-T financial data

Commonly asked questions concerning your TRA-97 1098-T financial data reported by the school:

Why are the amounts listed on my 1098-T different than the payments made for the year?

  • The financial data is for payments made during the tax year.  Any payments made before January 1st, or after December 31st, will not appear on the 1098-T.
  • Refunds paid during the tax year for prior year's payments are included in the financial data.
  • Other non-cash credits (listed under "Grants") made during the tax year for prior or subsequent semesters are included in the financial data. 
  •  Parking, health, student representation fee, and CSID fees are not included in the reported data.

 Why are amounts listed under "Grants" on my financial data?  I did not receive any grants.

  • Student fee credits other than direct payment by the student are listed here.  This will include non-CCPG waivers, and payments made by a third party and paid by special programs.

 Why didn't I receive a 1098-T?  I attended classes during the year.

  • You did not include your social security number on your college application.
  • You completed less than three units during the tax year.
  • You did not make any eligible payments. Individual students are responsible for the accuracy of the data payments during the tax year.
  • All your eligible fees were paid by financial aid.

Your mailing address as recorded in Admissions & Records is incorrect.  If you made eligible payments during the year, you may view your data at the web site listed above.

Individual students are responsible for the accuracy of the data. 

Resource Links:

https://tra.maximus.com Reorder your 1098-T online

https://tra.maximus.com/traPortal/StudentHelp: Offers links designed to help answer your questions about your Vangent login and general information about your 1098-T.

American Opportunity (formerly Hope Scholarship) and Lifetime Learning Tax Credits informational flyer enclosed with the IRS Form 1098-T mailer.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/index.html A link to the IRS site relating to the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC.)