Secondary (Jr. High / High School) Teaching Pathway
What is the Secondary Teaching Pathway?
The Cerritos College Teacher TRAC Secondary Pathway opens the door for students interested in teaching at the Middle School or High School level. Future teachers attending Cerritos College have the opportunity to complete the first two years of their coursework at the College and transfer to the institution of their choice for a bachelor’s degree in the major that they would like to teach.
Why Teach at the Secondary Level?
- California is experiencing a teacher shortage, especially in the areas of Math, Science and Special Education
- California is in need of skilled and qualified teachers to prepare the next generation
- Teaching gives the opportunity to contribute to the community
How does Teacher TRAC help prepare you to become a Secondary Teacher?
- Through EDEL 105, Teacher TRAC educates and exposes secondary pathway students to the California teaching standards in order for students to become effective future teachers
- Secondary curriculum is taught by current K-12 educators
- Service Learning provides real-world observation in the classroom with experienced mentor teachers
- Content courses enhance knowledge in the fields that future teachers will be teaching.
Teacher TRAC students are encouraged to register for courses targeted for teachers.
Opportunities Offered through the Teacher TRAC Secondary Pathway
- Teacher TRAC students benefit from Cerritos College’s strong partnerships with local school districts
- Internship opportunities in a middle school or high school classroom
- Teaching conferences and workshops
- Eligibility to apply for scholarships
- Specialized Counseling with dedicated Teacher TRAC Counselors
- Networking with professionals
- Targeted courses for future teachers
- Students from the Teacher TRAC Program are recognized and valued for the preparedness
For teaching majors and transfer institutions, please visit the Counseling Website to make an appointment with a Teacher TRAC Counselor: https://www.cerritos.edu/counseling/orientation/VCCounseling.htm
For more information on being part of the Teacher TRAC Program, please click on Getting Started with TRAC